If you are a chicken food lover, waiting for a freshly prepared homemade dish is tough. You struggle with baking and preparing it in less time with the delicious flavor.
What’s worse is when you put effort into preparing the dishes like chicken enchiladas casserole with the right ingredients, you still don’t get the taste better than average and struggle to assemble it correctly.
No worries! We have compiled this post to help you prepare the chicken enchilada casserole with green chiles and sour cream. Keep reading if you want to know more about the chicken enchilada recipe.
We have covered from selecting the right ingredients to their approx quantity for one-time use, from directions to prepare the enchiladas smoothie mixture to assemble it in the dish preparing pan for baking, and from baking the chicken enchilada recipe to preparing the toppings and the servings in the plates.
What is Chicken Enchilada?
This dish features all-natural ingredients such as green chilies, creamy sauce, and salsa verde to add a great flavor to the chicken without rolling it. Though the chicken enchilada recipe takes time to prepare the final casserole, you will find the easiest route and steps. While using the ingredients for Chicken Enchiladas, do not add condensed cream if you want great flavor.
1. Ingredients Required for The Enchilada Casserole Recipe
- Corn Tortillas – Take 12 to 15 six inches quarters of soft yellow or white corn tortillas. Corn flour tortillas turn gloomy when you bake them, so do not substitute them.
- Diced Green Chiles – Use one diced Green chile to provide a finishing touch to the Enchilada casserole.
- Shredded Cheese – Take around 8 ounces of cheese according to your desired flavor. You do not have to add all the cheese; you can pick any of these. Only pick two or more if you want to mix the flavors. You can use Cheddar cheese or Monterey Jack for the milder cheese taste. Add pepper jack cheese if you want to make it hotter with spice. For the mild spicy cheese, the Mexican blend of cheese works fine.
- Shredded Or Dice Boneless Chicken – You will need the cooked or shredded chicken of around 4 cups. You can use the meat from the rotisserie, pre-shredded or pre-cooked chicken to save time. But if you have time and want to cook it at home, prepare the chicken breast in the oven instead of roasting it. Cook it slowly in a cooker or pot on low flame. You can also poach, bake, cook, or grill the chicken breasts in simmering water on the stove.
2. Ingredients Required to Prepare the Sauce
- Butter – Three tablespoons of Salted or unsalted butter will work for this recipe.
- Chicken Broth – You can use one and a half cups of chicken broth, divided chicken, or chicken stock. To have more control over the flavor saltness, use low sodium.
- Flour – You can use three tablespoons of gluten-free flour blend or commonly used whole wheat pastry flour.
- Garlic – Take one or two cloves of garlic and prepare freshly minced garlic.
- Milk – You can use one cup of unsweetened almond milk if you want non-dairy milk. Or if you want to use dairy milk, use 1 cup whole milk with low fat.
- Salsa Verde and Sour Cream – Use one cup of green salsa verde and one cup of sour cream. These ingredients make the enchilada saucy and creamy.
- Spices – To prepare the spices for an enchilada, take One teaspoon of Chili powder, one teaspoon of cumin powder, one garlic powder, fresh ground pepper, salt, and half a sugar spoon separately.
- Cilantro – Adding cilantro is optional, and if you want to add it to your chicken enchilada recipe, use a half cup of freshly chopped cilantro.
- Fresh Lime Juice – Adding fresh lime juice is optional, but if you want to add it to the sauce, you can add two tablespoons.
3. Steps to Prepare the Chicken Enchilada Casserole Sauce
- Take a saucepan or pot you use for regular food cooking purposes.
- Add the three tablespoons of butter, and melt it over medium or slow flame.
- Add the minced garlic and let it turn into a golden brown color mixture in butter, with fragrance.
- When the garlic color changes, add three tablespoons of flour as mentioned in the ingredients and stir it for one minute to avoid bloating food balls.
- When the food flour gets mixed in the butter and minced garlic, pour one cup of milk over it slowly. After this, add half a cup of chicken broth.
- Increase the heat flame slightly towards medium and stir the ingredients in the saucepan or pot continuously.
- When you feel the mixture of the ingredients is getting thickened and smooth, turn off the stove and remove the saucepan or pot from it.
- Add the spices such as chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder.
- Mix the spices in the sauce and stir in the sour cream and salsa verde until it becomes smooth.
- Add freshly ground pepper powder and salt to add flavor taste.
4. Directions to Assemble the Chicken Enchilada Recipe for Casserole
- Add the sauce of green enchilada, green chilies, and sour cream in a large bowl and stir them properly until it becomes a smooth thick paste.
- Take a dish pan and grease the bottom with butter to put the enchilada smooth mixture on it. Add one teaspoon of sour cream over it.
- Put four corn tortillas over it by tearing them and fixing them in the dish pan.
- Add half of the shredded chicken as described in the ingredients, one-third of the cheese, and one-third of the green sauce over the layer of sour cream. Spread it all evenly to make layers.
- Repeat the process from adding corn tortillas to adding chicken breasts, green sauce, and cheese to prepare additional layers.
- Finish the final top layer with the corn tortillas and the remaining ingredients of cheese and sauce.
5. Directions to Bake the Chicken Enchilada Casserole
If you don’t want to bake it instantly, store the prepared sauce, smoothie mixture, and assembled enchilada in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator. If you want to prepare the chicken enchilada recipe casserole in the oven instantly, heat it to 375 degrees Fahrenheit before assembling it.
Keep the dish pan by covering it with the foil in the 375-degree Fahrenheit oven and let it bake for fifteen minutes. Then remove the foil from the dish plate and bake it in the 375 Fahrenheit oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Cross-check if the cheese melted completely and the color turned brown.
Bake the assembled enchiladas casserole until it gets hotter. Ensure the cheese melts down, the color turns red-brown, and the enchilada starts getting bubbly. Let the enchilada casserole cool for fifteen to twenty minutes before serving when you take it from the oven or the stove.
After fifteen minutes of natural cooling, chicken enchilada casserole is ready to cut and serve. Cut the chicken enchilada casserole according to the servings. You can add your favorite toppings on the top layer of each serving or add extra sour cream according to your taste preferences.
Tips and Tricks for Chicken Enchilada Recipe and Servings
- If you don’t want butter, use six tablespoons of divided vegetable oil while preparing the chicken enchilada sauce. Use it in the starting place of butter, as mentioned above.
- To make the corn tortillas soft and more pliable, stack them between the damp paper towels, and heat them for a minute in the microwave.
- You can also char the tortillas with metal tongs over the medium flame burner of a stove.
- Char the chiles over gas flames for ten minutes until their color turns black. Peel them and cut them into thin strips to prepare the layers while assembling.
- Sprinkle the half cup of chopped cilantro on the toppings while serving for extra flavor.
- You can also add a spoon pickled with red onions while serving it.
- If some sour cream enchiladas are left out, don’t worry. Store them in the refrigerator after packing them in an airtight container. You will find them more tasty when using them the next day. Also, you can store this dish for up to three days in the refrigerator.
Every food lover and cook wants the delicious chicken enchilada recipe, and preparing the most delicious dish, selecting the right amount of ingredients and preparing the mixture, and baking them with balanced steps is the way to prepare this delicious dish.
This post showed you what to select in the sauce and chicken enchilada recipe as ingredients to prepare the sauce mixture smoothly in the right way to make it delicious and add different flavors. This post has also covered assembling the chicken enchilada recipe in the baking dish pan for cooking and baking, how to bake it, prepare the toppings, and serve it on the plates without much hassle and time consumption.
If you are looking for more ways to make your recipes delicious, sign up and get our best food recipes and home kitchen tips sent to your inbox.