If you think painting is a professional task since it involves mixing it, and terms like thinner, sanding the wall, and priming it. Clark paint is your kind of thing. Annie Sloan, a British artist and design expert, came up with her groundbreaking work “Chalk Paint” ever since it is the go-to paint choice for people who prefer an aesthetic look on their walls.
Over the past decade, the usage of chalk paint started booming because of its easy application and usage on almost any surface, such as floor, walls, ceiling, glass, plastic, and fabric.
Now that hundreds of chalk paint brands are available in the market, sadly, there are some imposter brands too.
To help you choose the best chalk paint brand, we have compiled 13 best chalk paint brands.
1. Dixie Belle Chalk Paint
- CHALK MINERAL PAINT – Caviar is a true, matte black chalk mineral paint. The muted finish will add a soft and chic feel to your space on whatever you paint. Our chalk mineral paint is ideal for wood, metal, plastics, brick, stone, glass, concrete, and so much more. This paint goes a long ways and because Caviar is a dark color, you should only need 1-2 coats for your project. 8oz of this paint should cover about 38 sq. ft.
- CHIC FURNITURE PAINT – This rich color exudes elegance and can be paired with any paint color or style. Whether you use Caviar in abundance or in moderation, this versatile color always conveys a sense of sophistication. No sanding or priming required. Excellent coverage, easy to distress.
- MATTE FINISH – Our chalk mineral paint has a muted finish that leaves a beautiful matte impression once dry. Use with our Glossy, Satin, or Flat Topcoats (sold separately) for an extra layer or different finish or use with our Gator Hide Topcoat (sold separately) for the ultimate protection on high traffic areas.
- DIY PROJECTS – Because our chalk mineral paint is perfect for wood, plastics, brick, glass, and more it makes the perfect paint for any DIY project you have. Whether you are wanting to refinish your cabinets, dressers, tables, chairs, wardrobes, bookshelves or have art or craft projects, Dixie Belle has the paint for you.
- MADE IN THE USA – Dixie Belle Paint Company is a family-owned and operated company right here in the USA. Built on American values and true southern hospitality, our company strives to provide the best experience to anyone who chooses our products. Our products are Made in the USA.
Dixie Belle is one of the best-selling paints in the U.S. It is cost-effective and comes in a variety of colors and textures. The matte finish adds a chic feel to wherever it is applied. It is compatible with any surface. To attain a complete look, two to three coating is suggested. The best thing is it can change any surface into a DIY chalkboard.
The matte, glossy, and flat topcoats add a personalized touch. Whether you are flipping furniture or want to paint your wardrobe or desk, or your wall, or doing a DIY project, Dixie Belle has one for everyone.
2. Folkart Home Decor Chalk Paint
- PERFECT SIZE FOR HOME DÉCOR - This unique chalk finish paint set includes 12 - 8 oz bottles of décor paint. The colors in this set includes: FolkArt Home Décor Chalk Grotto, Salmon Coral, Provincial Blue, Oatmeal, Vintage Mustard, Nautical, Castle, Java, Turkish Tile, Metallic Silver, Metallic Copper, and Maui Sand
- ULTRA-MATTE FINISH - When dry this versatile acrylic chalk paint has a beautiful ultra-matte finish that is easy to distress. This paint requires minimal surface prep and can be layered and sanded to give you the perfect aged look and feel
- USE ON MULTIPLE SURFACES - Use this unique home décor paint on a variety of surfaces including wood, glass, metal, terra cotta, and much more
- EASY TO CLEAN UP – Clean up is easy with FolkArt Home Décor Chalk! Simply clean up any extra while wet with soap and water
- AMERICAN MADE - FolkArt Home Décor Chalk is proudly made in the USA
Folkart Home Decor chalk paint use acrylic, which gives an elegant and long-lasting texture. The matte-chalk finish adds everlasting beauty to the surface. It is easy to use and distress. It comes with unique and creative colors such as Grotto, salmon coral, provincial blue, oatmeal, vintage mustard, nautical, castle, java, Turkish tile, metallic silver, metallic copper, and maui sand.
Folkart Home decor chalk paint is the perfect pick for upcycling your furniture. It will be of great help to beginners and artists. It is a hassle-free paint and non-toxic. The chalk paint is made and distributed in The U.S.
3. Little Birdie Chalk Paint
- VERSATILE SIZE - This unique chalk acrylic paint comes comes in a convenient 120ml size and has a rich, highly pigmented formula - perfect for all your home décor projects! Work with our chalk paints to believe that wonderful results can be achieved so quickly and easily.
- Whether you choose to go for a vintage finish or a bright and peppy look, we have got you covered! Use our wide range of chalk paint colors on wooden furniture, walls, metal, glass, paper, fabric canvas, terracotta pots and planters and on multiple other surfaces.
- CHALK PAINT FOR WOOD FURNITURE: - This unique chalk paint set dries quickly on a variety of surfaces including wood, glass, metal, terra cotta, and much more
- EASY TO USE: chalk acrylic paint has perfect consistency for spreading with rollers, sponge and brush. Use a flat brush for best results. They work great with stencils as well. Most preferred for decoupage, mixed media, home décor and altered art. Water based, lead free, non-toxic, quick drying paint, dries odour free & easy to clean up.
- The chalk paint is thick and can be thinned out with little amount of water. The chalk paints can be directly used on any surface, without applying any primer. Chalk paints work best for distressing technique to get aged look as they give matte finish and can be sanded easily. Chalk paint colors can be mixed with each other to get different shades.
Little Birdie chalk paint is best known for its rich, pigmented formula decorations can be satisfyingly achieved with the brand. The color shades provided by Little Birdie can resurrect your lifeless furniture and terracotta pots. Whether you need a classy or funky look, Little Birdie got you covered.
The paint dries quickly on the surface and lasts longer than other paints. The acrylic paint can be easily spread using the roller. It goes easier on the skin and tougher on the surface.
It is eco-friendly, leaf-free, water-based, odor-free, easy to use, and distress-free.
3. Krylon Chalk Paint
- Clear Sealing Wax provides low gloss protection when applied over Krylon Chalky Finish Paint
- Clear Sealing Wax is ideal for decor items and varnished, previously painted, bare wood or metal furniture
- No primer or prep needed
Krylon chalk paint is ideal for decor items, previously painted, bare wood, or metal furniture. The ultra-matte adds a cherry on top. It mostly comes in sprays which makes it easier to use. It is an al purpose paint, goes easy on the brush, is super adhesive, best for crafting, and rust preventive.
DIY projects, crafts, distressed furniture, chipped articles, and whatnot? The brush trail left by the chalky paint adds an aesthetic look. It has an inbuilt low-gloss gloss sealing wax that preserves the paint. Tired of painting? Grab the spray and have fun painting. It is America’s first spray paint.
4. Rust-Oleum Chalk Paint
- Use on a variety of interior surfaces like wood, metal, ceramic, canvas and easily distress to create a vintage look
- Low-odor, latex formula allows for easy clean up with soap & water
- Dries to the touch in just 30 minutes and covers up to 150 sq ft, 1-coat coverage allows projects to be completed easily. For best results: Lightly scuff high gloss surfaces with sand paper or a sanding sponge. Apply 1-3 even coats 30 minutes apart
- Excellent adhesion and easy application with minimal prep
- Dries to an ultra-matte velvety, smooth finish
Rust-Oleum is the best-selling among the wide variety of paints throughout the United States. Rust-oleum is best known for its velvety finish when dried. They come in timeless colors that can bring back andy dilapidated or worn surfaces and leaves a vintage look.
It can be easily applied and scrubbed off with water and soap. Better looks can be unlocked with every coat. Two to three coat is suggested for a place with high traffic. A two hours wait is necessary between coats. It comes in numerous varieties.
Since it comes at an affordable cost, it is the go-to chalk paint brand for most people in the U.S., irrespective of the cost. It comes in an irresistibly beautiful container that can be reused.
5. Kilz Chalk Paint
- KILZ chalk style decorative paint is an ultra Matte paint formulated for small interior projects such as upcycling furniture
- Can be applied over most existing finishes with little to no surface preparation. Easily adds character to any surface
- KILZ chalk style paint goes on thick and provides excellent coverage and hide
- Depending on your desired look for your project, simply apply one to two coats on a clean, dust-free surface
- Apply to old or new wood, cast stone, concrete or properly prepared metal surfaces
Kilz chalk paint is yet another affordable and penny-worth paint. It comes in multiple colors. It is easy to no preparation and adds life to any surface instantly. Depending on the desired look, the number coating can be done. It dries pretty quickly. The thick paint goes hard on the surface and covers the dents, and gives a smooth texture.
A little sanding is suggested to attain better adhesion. Kilz sealing wax can be used to retain the paint for a longer period. It is suggested for interior use and can be easily applied and removed using soap and water.
Behr features chalk paints and wax products. The enhanced formula helps soft and buttery applications. The sheen leaves a velvety smooth finish. Behr Pro is suggested for a premium look. It is chalk paint for furniture. It can be used in almost all areas, from kids’ bedrooms, furniture, crafts, canvas, and DIY projects. Behr has this versatile aerosol spray can that makes painting easy and fun. Impressively it dries in 8 hours, and a one-hour break between coats is suggested.
It covers any material from metal, wood, walls, and glass. Once you are done with painting, you can apply the wax by Behr to give the surface a complete look. If you’re looking for a top-notch paint brand, then Behr is yours.
7. Sherwin-Williams Chalk Paint
- Adds protection, performance and appearance
- Heat resistant up to 250°F
- Dry to Touch: 15 Minutes
- Handle In: 1 Hour
- Can be used for interior, exterior and under the hood applications
Sherwin Williams chalk paint features a wide range of chalk paint sprays. The unique feature of the paint spray is, unlike normal paint, it adds protection and enhances appearance and performance.
On top of all, it is heat resistant up to 250 F. It is dry to the touch in 15 minutes. It is a versatile paint used on any surface. Sherwin Williams is the paint for those who seek forever paint at an affordable cost.
8. Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
Ever considered buying something from the one who invented it? Browse through the endless color swatches available on the Annie Sloan website. Annie Sloan is the torch bearer of the chalk paint brands. You can use the paint on surfaces from walls and beyond.
The entire painting process can be done and dusted on the same day. Annie Sloan is a U.K.-based brand that is rarely available in the U.S. However, it can be brought through a retailer. Annie Sloan can be bought without giving a second thought since it is trusted by millions of people.
9. Jolie Chalk Paint
- Premier Chalk Finish Paint - Minimal to no prep with no sanding or priming and easy application on a variety of interior surfaces
- Water-based for easy clean-up with soap and water
- Non-toxic and low VOC paint that is safe to use indoors
- Superior coverage: one 32oz quart covers about 150 sq. ft; 4oz sample covers 20 sq. ft, most colors need only 1-2 coats
- Dries quickly in 30 minutes to a flat (matte) finish. Use with Jolie Finishing Wax and buff to a higher sheen
Jolie chalk paint can be used on both interior and exterior surfaces. With minimal to no prep, the painting can be done. No prior sanding is required. The water-based paint can be easily applied and removed using soap and water.
Jolie brand features matte and gloss finishes and the result can be improvised by the wax top coat. It is non-toxic, and the very low VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) helps create a healthy environment.
Jolie has around 40 colors, with which nearly a thousand custom colors can be made. Joile is the perfect choice for refurbishing your furniture and DIY projects.
10. Country Chic Chalk Paint
- All-in-One: Our DIY paint contains built in primer and top coat to paint almost any surface, indoor or outdoor including wood, laminate, glass, metal, and kids toys; wax & sealants are optional
- Quality You Can Trust: Respected manufacturer with over 80 years experience; amazing adhesion; great coverage requiring less paint coats; long lasting durability; little to no prep work required
- Paint for Furniture, Kitchen Cabinets & More: Formulated for furniture, home decor, kitchen cabinets, upholstery, craft projects & more
- Chalky Matte Finish: Paint dries within 30 minutes to a chalky matte finish that's easy to distress if desired, yet very durable; self leveling for a flawlessly smooth finish; blend colors with ease
- Eco-Friendly & Safe: No harsh chemicals such as phthalates, formaldehyde, heavy metals, or solvents; ultra low VOC including pigments; low odor; certified safe as per European Toy Safety Standards
Country Chic is an all-rounder. The brand can achieve all the home decor. It comes with a built-in primer which makes the deed easy. With almost 80 years of experience, it has earned the trust of professionals.
The quality of the paint makes it easier to paint any surface without priming or sanding. The paint soothes the surface and gives a pleasant feel when touched.
Buyers have a wide choice of colors to choose from. It is eco-friendly, and no chemicals such as formaldehyde or solvents and heavy metals are used. The paint can be easily dissolved with water if desired.
11. Retique Chalk Paint by Renaissance
- GREAT RESULTS - Superior coverage, usually 1 to 2 coats with Amazing adhesion to a wide variety of surfaces; little-to-no prep work required (just clean first)
- FURNITURE, CABINETS & MORE- Formulated specifically for furniture, cabinets & home decor; can be used for craft and art projects as well
- INTERIOR / EXTERIOR- Works great for interior and exterior projects alike. For exterior projects, simply use a marine finish topcoat like our Polytique It before applying the clear wax
- SILKY CHALKY SMOOTH FINISH- Dries within 30 minutes to a contemporary finish with our clear wax or a chalky matte finish that is easy to distress (if desired), yet exceptionally durable
- ECO-FRIENDLY & SAFE TO USE - Low Odor. Ultra-low VOC, hypoallergenic with virtually no smell
Retique It by Rennaisance is one of the trusted brands around the United States. It provides superior-quality paint that, just with a couple of coatings, perfection can be attained. It is non-toxic and has less to no prep.
It is formulated specifically for furniture and walls. It can be easily applied and distressed if needed. It is smooth to the touch and leaves an aesthetic look with the matte finish.
It is proudly manufactured in the USA. It works well on walls and best on furniture. The texture can be taken to another level with the wax coat. It is your brand if you are looking for an affordable and durable chalk paint brand.
12. Recolor Chalk Paint
- TURN ANY SURFACE INTO A CHALKBOARD: Lower cost alternative to virgin paint, without sacrificing quality. One quart of Recolor Chalk Finish, Winter covers about 100 square feet. This is chalk, latex paint with a very matte chalkboard finish. Can be used to turn any wall into a chalkboard and give an old piece of furniture a new life—produced in the USA!
- PROFESSIONALLY RECYCLED PAINTS: Processed from carefully screened feedstock so that the highest quality recycled content paint is produced. Undergoes additional testing for quality assurance making sure the paint is just as good as it was when it was first used. Our coverage is as good or better than that of the virgin paint.
- APPLICATION & COVERAGE: Durable and washable latex paint. Dry time is 2-6 hours. Clean-up is easy with just soap and water. NOTE: Colors may vary by batch. We recommend bulking paint from different batches together to ensure uniformity of color. Use as a paint/primer on furniture or decorative items. For furniture/cabinetry application, a topcoat of wax or polyurethane is best. If using as a chalkboard then allow the paint to cure for at least 3 days before attempting to write on it.
- ENVIRONMENTAL INTEGRITY: We collect leftover paint, utilizing a process that involves rigorous screening and quality control. We produce a paint that is recycled content, thereby maximizing environmental benefits such as natural resource conservation, reduction of waste, reduction of air and water pollution, and a reduced need for landfill space. Naturally low in ‘volatile organic compounds’ (VOC), which means it has fewer chemical solvents that are released into the air.
- WOMEN OWNED COMPANY IN THE USA: Recolor Paints began in 2009 as a small, women-owned, retail store in Scituate, Massachusetts. With a heartfelt concern for the environment, owners Katharine Brown and Tania Keeble are driven by the overwhelming amount of paint wasted in the United States. Currently, their high quality, recycled content paint is found in retail stores up and down the East Coast. All our paints come from the USA and are reprocessed in the USA.
Last but not least, Recolor is a recycled paint that is safe for the earth. It is made out of recycled old paints, reducing the hazardous effects and making it safe for the environment using rigorous quality control. It can make any surface a chalkboard.
The brand produces paint that can be used in every nook and cranny of the house. It is better than that of virgin paint.
In conclusion, chalk paint is a versatile and popular option for furniture, walls, canvas, crafts, and DIY projects. With the endless paint brands available in the market, it is overwhelming to choose one. By considering the price range, quality, and availability, these 13 have been compiled to make it easier for you.
Chalk Paint has secured its spot among the contemporary bustling paints. It has its reasons to stay at the top. No wonder it has been in the zenith for the past three decades. It is a perfect choice for any sort of painting project. From children doing a DIY project to adults painting their walls, chalk paint has them covered.
Chalk paint has been the first preference for a furniture flipper or a professional painter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Seal the Chalk Paint?
The best way to seal the chalk paint is Wax. It is available in the market along with the paint. It can also be purchased separately. Waxing should be done once the paint is completely dry. Then the wax should be gently applied, and the surface should sit for two hours to dry.
What if I Don’t Wax My Chalk Paint?
There is nothing harm in leaving the chalk paint un-waxed. Coating wax helps the paint last longer and leaves a good impression. Not waxing will make the paint look pale and lifeless. It prevents the surface from shipping. It may be extra work, but it is worth it.